Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Running Towards the Sun

This is the week. Every year, once in the fall, once in the spring, there is a span of one or two weeks where the weather is just perfect. And this past week was it. The weekend couldn’t have been better weather-wise. 70s. Clear. Cool. Almost picture perfect. Of course, I spent Saturday on a service project picking up dime bags (did you know they come in all sorts of colors?) at an elementary school in the inner city of Baltimore. Seriously…an elementary school. There’s something horribly disturbing about that. Still, I was happy to help refurbish the place. All I’m saying is that I could have done without the drug paraphernalia.

I’m taking tomorrow off to play at a golf charity event. It’s great timing, because recently I’ve been tempted to take some time off to enjoy the weather. I’ve been so busy lately, that I thought a sunny day would be great to help me breathe and gain some perspective on what’s been happening lately. I was recently reminded by a friend of mine in San Diego that it was sunny and beautiful there all year round, and that I could get all the perspective I wanted over there. I admit, I can’t argue with him.

In fact, on my way back from work last week, I wondered if my life would have been different if I lived somewhere else. If I’d work out more often and take longer walks, or if I would be the same kind of worker, just in a different place. If I’d ever get tired of sunny days. And while I catch myself sometimes wondering if I wouldn’t be happier swinging on a hammock somewhere in Monterey, I’m looking forward to the cooler breezes of fall. Seasons are strange like that. They remind you that change happens. And that everything – including people, given enough time, change too.

Wedding planning is dominating my life, as it always does. Invitations went out, and I’m ironing out last-minute details of the honeymoon, which continue to wrinkle like a wet Brooks Brothers pinpoint. I'm also ditching the wedding website because I just don't have enough time to put it together the way I want. And in the end, I suppose, that’s fine with me. There’s just too much to do. Besides, I’m running out of sunny days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home